Welcome To Support Community

BLOG

Advanced Search
Ask Search:
TimTim (Accelrys)  

Content with your Content?

Informatics in High Content Screening (HCS) is reshaping the mix of scientists driving drug discovery efforts. In the early days of HCS I worked closely with electrical, mechanical and software engineers to develop better systems for image acquisition and processing. My responsibilities as an HCS biologist involved painstaking hours of sample preparation and cell cultures and constant enhancements to my materials and methods section for preparing my biological specimens for imaging. I was motivated by the many new collaborative efforts that beganwith the software engineers, the systems engineers and the machine vision scientist developing HCS systems. I found myself teaching basic concepts of biology as I learned about illumination and optics, piezoelectric drives for auto focusing and, of course, the strings of zeros and ones that would eventually tell me what happened to my protein. It was exciting for me to be part of a cross functional team developing new applications by piecing together advances in hardware, image processing and biological assay technologies.High Content Screening systems and vendor software has come along way since my introduction to the technology ten years ago. Vendors struggled between giving end users powerful, flexible systems and ease of use (1). The bottleneck has shifted from application development to data informatics . Software systems in HCS have evolved to integrate databases and other related sources for chemical structures, target characteristics, and assay results. Today, Icollaborate with colleaguesin HCSin new areas that include data mining, principal component analysis, Bayesian modeling, decision trees, and data management.The mix of HCS conference speakers and attendees has shifted from what had primarily been assay developers to a growing population of informaticians and IT experts. Talks have moved beyond assay design and system development to incorporate more downstream data processing. We have worked on complex fingerprinting methods for predicting characteristics of a compound for such things as predicting mechanism of action or how it might affect a particular biological pathway involved for example, in neuronal stem cell differentiation. Vendors are moving to more open systems for image processing and are integrating more third party applications into their HCS acquisition systems to keep up with the shifting bottlenecks and emerging solutions. Informaticians have been able to improve data analysis efforts and significantly reduce the number of man-hours required for downstream data analysis (2). I've been fortunate in having been able to develop relationships with experts at most of the leading HCS instrument companies. My journey has been one of constant growth and continuous learning. I"m anxious to know what"s coming next in High Content Screening and eager to learn from my ever growing network of scientific experts.1. High-Content Analysis: Balancing Power and Ease of Use by Jim Kling2. Data Analysis For A High Content Assay Using Pipeline Pilot": 8x Reduction in Manhours from a poster by L. Bleicher, Brain Cells Inc
Best Answer chosen by Tim (Accelrys) 
TimTim (Accelrys) 
Posted