Welcome To Support Community

BLOG

Advanced Search
Ask Search:
WalkerrWalkerr 

Great success at the Chemical & Biological Science & Tech Conference

I started the Thanksgiving Week thankful that it was a short week. It needed to be short to recover from the action packed agenda at the 2009 Chemical and Biological Science and Technology Conference in Dallas the week prior. The conference was a huge success on many different levels. Although, the conference has been ongoing for the last few years, this was a first time combination of physical science and medicinal disciplines and to the credit of the conference organizers, it was well done! There were over 1400 people in attendance with over 600 poster presentations and countless oral presentations; however, even with the number of people and logistical challenges that existed, this was one of the best events I have attended (and I have attended a few).I enjoyed the conference from the perspective that I was able to connect with former colleagues and make new friends (accomplices). However, the most important aspect for me was hearing about some of the great work that is going into making our country safer. The science and technology is cutting edge and driving innovation in so many different disciplines.As mentioned in a previous post we were honored to present two posters;Nancy Miller Latimer presented a poster on "Using Data Pipelining to Analyze Biological Threats: A Biomarker Case Study".AndDr. Nick Reynolds presented a poster on "Applications of nanoscale simulations methods for understanding the structure and mechanisms of chemical sensors".Both posters were well received and very applicable to the technology challenges that we face; Dr Reynolds and Ms. Miller Latimer directed and managed the traffic expertly (and there were a lot of people at the presentation).Over the past few conferences that I have been to, data management and integration is becoming an increasing concern to all the Federal Agencies as more and more data intensive programs come into existence. From new drug and vaccine discovery to biometrics, the data produced for use and reuse is overwhelming legacy systems and there is increasing focus on how to address this challenge.Addressing this challenge and back to Ms. Miller Latimer"s discussion on Data Pipelining;She demonstrated "data pipelining", using Pipeline Pilot", in a biomarker case study for ALI (Acute Lung Injury). As part of this analysis, Pipeline Pilot was used to analyze and integrate mass spec proteomics data with gene expression data and sequences using data pipelining. Additionally, this study also showed how to automatically mine the literature analysis results for differentially expressed genes/proteins and then publish enterprise-wide interactive solutions via web portals.To underscore the interest in this integrative and flexible capability, Ms. Miller Latimer"s work was recognized as the best poster overall (over 600 poster were presented). I was proud to be there as she received the award from Colonel Michael O"Keefe, Deputy Director, Chemical/Biological Technologies, Defense Threat Reduction Agency. Accelrys is proud of Ms. Miller Latimer"s contribution. Well Done!!
Best Answer chosen by Walkerr
WalkerrWalkerr
Posted